Spelling Guide for Parents and Staff
An English Guide to Spelling
Guidance for teachers, teaching assistants, parents and tutors. This guide will help you understand some of the challenges of English spelling conventions along with practical guidance to stimulate an interest and understanding in the teaching of phonics and spelling.
Includes a written guide and over 60 slides. Ideal for staff training and inset days. Can be split into sections and used to introduce phonics techniques to parents including an example phonics lesson using the Word Wizard Phonics scheme.
- Introduction to phonics and the International Phonetic Alphabet
- Characteristics of English
- Phonics and Spelling Glossary
- History of the Alphabet
- History of English Spelling
- Phonemes Charts
- The Schwa
- Phonics Pronunciation Guide including mouth shapes
- Features of English
- Using sound symbols