Unpunctuated Challenge 8: Capital Letters for Days
Capital Letters all Day Long
Days of the week are named after ancient gods which maybe explains why we use a capital letter for days (like we do with names).
- Sunday was named after the sun
- Monday is the moon day
- Tuesday is Tiu’s day (the Norse god of war)
- Wednesday is Woden’s day (also known as the Norse god Odin)
- Thursday is Thor’s day (the Norse god of thunder)
- Friday is less certain but likely to be derived from Freya (the Norse god of love)
- Saturday is Saturn’s day (the Roman god of agriculture)
You can find additional resources for using capital letters here.
You can find more quirky facts about punctuation in the Monster Punctuation book!